I've received this in an email and thought it might be useful to keep a copy here
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
Signs of a stroke:
- Ask the individual to SMILE
- Speak a simple sentense (Coherently)
- Ask them to raise both arms
Any trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately
- Also ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroe.
- Leg weakness and loss of vision are also strong indicators [http://uk.health.lifestyle.yahoo.net/Two-new-stroke-warning-signs-highlighted.htm]